We all have been introduced to the concept and importance of digital marketing. Have you been working in the digital marketing industry and feel like you can start your own business in this field? Literally, all of us can relate to this.
Be it an SEO specialist, marketer, content writer, content marketer, email marketing manager, social media manager, or social media marketer, we all are in the similar boat of “wishing to start our own business” and a digital marketing agency sounds like an intriguing and promising option.
If you are yet to find out why a digital marketing agency is one of the best business or side hustle options for you, let me tell you.
Why Should You Start a Digital Marketing Agency?
You should consider starting your own digital marketing agency in India because it is a promising, growing career and business option.
Every business is looking forward to growing on google and social media to generate more and better leads for their business and for that they need experts. This is where digital marketing agency comes to play. Digital marketing agencies offer services that can help a business grow online, in the digital world, and increase their earning potential.
Why is digital marketing a good option for you? There are several reasons why.
- Because digital marketing is in demand and is here to stay for long, your agency is bound to grow. You may think there’s a lot of competition and you may not succeed but here’s the deal, even though digital marketing industry is highly competitive, any and every digital marketing business that is able to market themselves will grow. And since that is exactly what you are providing as a service, it shouldn’t be difficult for you.
- The clients you will find as a digital marketing agency will be mostly recurring customers. So, it’s not like you will have abundant work one month and nothing the next month. You will always have work.
- Earning potential in the digital marketing industry is phenomenal. If you have already worked in a digital marketing agency or company, you will know what I am talking about here. Clients are ready to pay you the amount you ask and deserve because they know the importance of digital marketing and how beneficial it is going to be for their business.
- It is easy. Starting a digital marketing agency is actually very easy. You just need to have basic knowledge about digital marketing and running a business. You can always hire people to handle the technical work for you. And again, because of the demand in the digital marketing industry, finding employees or freelancers who are willing to work for an affordable price is not difficult at all.
How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency in India?
Learn the Basics of Digital Marketing and Services You Can Offer
Start with getting an idea of what exactly digital marketing is and how it works.
A lot of people among us might think that digital marketing is just about SEO, SEM, and social media. Understand that there is a lot that you need to know about digital marketing before diving into it. So your first step towards starting your digital marketing agency is to learn and understand everything about digital marketing.
Here are a few things that I can tell you about digital marketing that will help you gather information:
- There are different types of digital marketing. You cannot and should not be using the same technique for any and every kind of business you shall be dealing with. For instance, digital marketing for ecommerce business will be different from B2B or service based business.
- You don’t have to offer all the services of digital marketing. Yes, you can further niche down the services your digital marketing agency will offer. Some of the services include search engine optimisation, search engine marketing, social media marketing, content marketing, and email marketing. There is a lot that needs to be taken care of within these services as well.
- The results and effectiveness of your service is going to be different for different industries and niches. Keep that in mind while pitching your services and promising a specific ROI. For instance, the ROI in the fashion industry can be extremely different from the ROI in the cannabis industry for some very obvious reasons. Pitch your services accordingly so that you don’t disappoint your clients.
Develop the Skills or Hire Professionals
Now that you have the basic idea of what services you wish to offer, it’s time to equip yourself with the skills required to provide high quality services to your clients. Take courses, read blogs, watch videos, read books, and if none of this sounds possible, hire professionals.
However, it is highly recommended to learn and have the basic skill set for whatever services you are offering so that you have an idea of what exactly you are doing and which would be the most beneficial way of doing that for your clients and your business. Skills that you need to learn include but are not limited to search engine optimization, content writing, copywriting, social media management and marketing, knowledge about running ads on social media, google analytics, and adsense.
Create a Website and Branded Email
After you are mentally prepared and equipped for the business, it’s time to create the business. You will need a website and a branded email to begin with. This is an investment that you should be making even if you are just starting out.
When you will be telling people who you are and what services you offer even through direct messages or emails, the first thing they would want to do is Google your business and this is where the importance of having a website intensifies. You should have a website where you have all the information that your potential clients need to know about your business and services so that they know your business is genuine and not a scam.
Branded email makes you look professional. When you have a branded email with your business name in it, (firstname.lastname@example.org), it automatically points out that you are invested in your business. Which is, again, very important to establish right at the beginning.
Create SEO Friendly Content for Yourself
For your website you are supposed to create content that will attract traffic and convert it into leads. From writing a home page and landing page to writing blogs, sharing testimonials, and explaining how and why the services you offer can help the clients through your content, you will have to create everything. Of course you can hire a professional writer for this but again, to know if the content they have written is going to work in favour of your business, you should know what makes content more attractive and SEO Friendly.
Along with content for your website, don’t forget to create content for social media and optimise the accounts as well.
Reach Out to Potential Clients
That’s it, you have everything ready and your final step is to reach out to your potential clients. You can search for the businesses that fall under the niche you have picked to serve.
The only way that can help you get clients when you are just starting out is outreaching. Send cold emails, direct messages, and follow up on the businesses that you would want to work with.
Keep posting content that will attract traffic so that you can generate and convert organic leads through your website and social media. This will also help your potential clients or businesses you reach out to, get an idea what your agency is doing.
Although it won’t take long for you to land your first client, it is recommended that you keep reaching out to businesses and sending cold emails everyday so that you get your first client sooner and increase your chances of getting more clients.
How Much Does it Cost to Start a Digital Marketing Agency in India?
The cost depends on the type of investment you are making here. You will need a computer and internet connection to begin with. For knowledge and information you might choose to invest in online courses, if you are interested in hiring professionals right from the beginning then you will be paying them salaries, after that comes the investment you will be making to create your website, get a branded email, and search engine optimisation tools. You may choose to get your business registered and finally once your business picks up you will be paying taxes.
These are the expected expenditures that you will be making right at the start of your business journey. Of course you don’t have to invest in everything that is mentioned. As already mentioned, your expense of starting a digital marketing agency completely depends on the investment you are willing to make.
A lot of us would want to start a digital marketing agency on our own. If you think that is NOT possible, I am glad to tell you that you are wrong. You can start a digital marketing agency without any other support, on your own.
However, you will be required to learn a lot. It shouldn’t be difficult because I have a course that will help you learn everything that you need to know to start a digital marketing agency and be successful at it.
Hustlepost Academy offers a course on how to start and grow your online business which covers everything related to business and not just that, they introduce you to the skills that are relevant and required for a digital marketing agency. From content writing and copywriting to email marketing, finding clients, creating content, search engine optimization, and time management, everything is covered in this course.